Royal Shakespeare Theatre
The Royal Shakespeare Company appointed Charcoalblue to assist them in the remodelling of their 1932 Grade II* listed theatre. Following the recent opening of the temporary Courtyard Theatre, the old theatre has now been reworked to accommodate a thrust stage auditorium seating around 1,000 people. The new theatre will improve the relationship between audiences and actors by bringing them closer together, reducing the distance from the furthest seat from 27 metres to around 15 metres.
Charcoalblue has provided complete design and planning consultancy services for the auditorium, foyers and backstage areas, as well as design and integration of technical systems, and worked closely with the architects and the RSC during the transformation of the theatre.
For more information on Charcoalblue's involvement in the rebuilding of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, please visit our RSC microsite.
- USITT Architecture Honor Award 2012
- Civic Trust Awards 2012
- Structural Steel Design Award 2012
- RIBA Regional Award 2011 - Bennetts Associates
- Stirling Prize 2011 Shortlist
- Building Award 2011 Winner - Project of the Year
- Nominated for British Construction Industry Awards (BCAI)
- Construction Project of the Year - 2010 Insider West Midlands Property Awards